Easiest way to remove sticker residue?

I just purchased a new pair of loppers that came with a sticker wrapped around one of the sides. I’ve spent the last 30 minutes trying to removed the darn residue. I’m probably a quarter of the way done. It’s maddening. Does anyone have some suggestions that are going to save me an hour and a half from picking at this sticker?

There are a couple of ways to remove tough stickers and sticker residue. Here are some things to try ideally, in this order.

• Be patient, start at a corner and peel the sticker back slowly pulling evenly. The majority of stickers will come off without leaving anything behind.

• Take some rubbing alcohol a soak a paper towel. Let the soaked paper towel sit over the sticker residue for a couple of minutes. Remove and try and rub off with another paper towel.

• Worst case WD-40 will remove it, but it will take some elbow grease (and you need to be careful about fumes). Spray the area, let sit for 5-10 minutes and then get a plastic paint scraper and start to scrape the residue off. For the last little bit you can use the abrasive side of a sponge.

GooGone (Oil based) is the absolutely painless method. Stuff is magic.

3 Likes

I always use a little peanut butter and a paper towel (smooth not chunky works best).

I totally agree with @Francesca_Giulino about GooGone, hands-down. It does have a distinct lingering odor. You can just wash the surface with dish soap or something afterwards in cases where it matters.

I’m having this exact same issue with a rake I just bought (I’ve been punting raking leaves all season).

Will give too gone a shot and report back.

Goo Gone was an excellent suggestion for removing this sticker. Thank you everybody!

1 Like