Grid systems in graphic design: A visual communication manual

I was talking to some co-workers today about what we thought our graphic design bibles were. Specifically, if we were only allowed to have one reference on design, what would that be?

Mine was Don’s Norman’s exceptional The Design of Everyday Things. The book has been my design bible. Someone also mentioned the classic, Don’t Make Me Think by Steve Krug.

One of the other designers on our team had a suggestion for a book I’ve never heard of called Grid systems in graphic design: A visual communication manual. I don’t own it, but the book looks amazing. My co-worker said she’s going to bring it in this week. The book is available on Amazon, but there are some better pictures on the Standards Manual website.

Cheers!

This is an awesome find! I’m such a sucker for these types of books. One thing I miss about working for agencies is a bookshelf stocked with books like this to reference.

Also hope you don’t mind, but I added a mockup of the cover I did to your post. I’m experimenting adding more visuals and recreating the cover of this book was fairly quick.

I feel like this is a bit too obscure to post in #deals, but Amazon has this book at about 50% off right now. If you’re looking for an interesting coffee table book about graphic design, this is a good bet.
https://www.amazon.com/Grid-systems-graphic-design-communication/dp/3721201450