How are you preparing for Coronavirus/COVID-19?

I’ve seen a number of threads on other websites about Coronavirus, but none here. As a consumer how are you preparing? What are you buying.

Looking at things, I’m not sure how likely one is to be infected. However, it seems very likely that we will be quarantined at some point. My company was planning to send a bunch of us to a conference at the end of the month, but it seems that plan is going to get scrapped.

What things are you all buying to prepare for COVID-19? Here’s what I’ve been purchasing:

1. Long lasting foods such as beans, pasta, beef jerky, oatmeal and peanut butter
  2. Household supplies (paper towels, lotion, soap and toilet paper)
  3. First aid kit, thermometer, Advil and basic over-the-counter medicines

What am I missing here? Are you buying masks?

No mention of disposable N95 masks? I bought a few off of Amazon back in February. I know we’re not supposed to buy them so doctors and hospital can have them, but I’m taking a few for good measure. Just in case.

Other things I’ve stocked up on:

• Batteries
  • Toilet paper
  • Paper towels
  • Hand sanitizer
  • A few jugs of water

I’ve bought a bunch of frozen food, but am thinking about running back out to the store and getting more things that don’t need refrigeration. What if a hurricane or other natural disaster struck in a week? We’d definitely be in trouble.

1 Like

@Aero_Engineer changing this category to #general. There’s not going to be a definitive answer here, so it can’t be in #questions.

I think you’re right that quarantine is more likely than a zombie apocalypse. I still think that it will be better contained than most think. If it’s like the flu, when it gets warmer the disease has a harder time spreading because it can’t live outside a host as long.

Wash your hands frequently. Watch this WHO video on how to do it. make sure you have a few canned goods. Other than that I’d just keep an eye on the CDC Coronavirus page and keep an eye on the NYT maps page to see if there are any cases in your area.

1 Like

I shaved my beard!

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but I needed to stop touching my face. Shaving is the only way I was going to do that.

From a consumer standpoint I did buy some extra canned goods, oatmeal and quinoa when I was at the grocery store this weekend. I’ve been looking for a larger hand sanitizer container, but they’ve been sold out both online and in store for a week.

I picked up some more Zeiss alcohol swabs and have been wiping down my phone, keyboard and screen once a day.

1 Like

Did not think about wiping down my phone. Good suggestion!