Microsoft's Building a Disc-Less Xbox One for Release in 2019

In the wake of the news that Sony will not be attending E3 next year, Microsoft’s hardware plans for 2019 will likely be a huge win for the brand and for gamers. The company is planning to release an updated console next year, but this device will not be in the Scarlett family, according to people familiar with the company’s plans.

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft’s next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console.

This is interesting, but I think the paragraph after the one you quoted is even more interesting.

In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

This has all sorts of implications. I know companies like GameStop are moving away from used game sales, but what does this mean for companies like gamefly?

I realize this is just a rumour, but in the short term this probably makes used games more valuable, right? You can get a used copy of Skyrim for like $15.

It says they are trying to get the console cost below $200. To get something as powerful as the One S that low would truly be an amazing feat.

I wonder if they would be competitive to mine bitcoins at that price? Then again there’s really only professional miners with specialized hardware doing that now.

1 Like

lol. well, nobody’s mining bitcoins now—they aren’t worth the power.

I’m happy for speculative miners to fund cheaper gaming equipment though.