Mouse recommendation for my mother

Hi! My mother’s mouse has died and I’d like to get her a new one. She’s not very technical. What are some good options?

Hello again Mari!

There’s a mouse I recommend for most people—the Logitech M510. I’ve used that exact model for years and it is a fantastic value. You can usually find it between $20 and $30.

Logitech M510

The best mouse for most people

The M510 is wireless and has a long lasting battery. I've used mine daily for years and only replaced the batteries once.

It’s one of the products I’ve been meaning to write a review about, but I haven’t gotten around to it.

The mouse is wireless and comes with a tiny, little USB fob. Logitech calls this their Unifying Receiver. Plug the receiver into a free USB port and the mouse should just work. Wireless is great because it provides more room to maneuver and removes the visual clutter of cords.

The major concern with most wireless devices is battery life. It’s a pain to keep track of chargers or constantly having to recharge—all of that causes unnecessary mental overhead. The M510 uses 2 AA batteries, which last 2 to 3 years. I’m a designer and have been using the same mouse every day, all-day at work for 2 years and haven’t had to change the batteries in my M510.

Other than that I think the ergonomics are rather good. It’s should be a comfortable mouse for hands of various sizes.

Hope that helps!

Admittedly, I am a bit of a Logitech fanboy. I don’t think anyone produces comparable computer accessories—even Apple.

1 Like

Wireless mouses are pretty easy, but if she doesn’t want to fiddle with them, Amazon Basics makes some solid mice for under $10.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-Button-Wired-Mouse-Black/dp/B005EJH6RW/

I am also a fan of Logitech. They make great keyboards and accessories. Their solar-powered keyboard has worked for years in my office.

1 Like