Thinking about getting a robot lawn mower

I am moving into a new house, which has me thinking about how to care for this large yard (about 1.5 acres). Talking with a few lawn services and it seems like I’ll need to pay about $120 per cut. That’s a price I’d rather not pay.

Doing some research I’ve stumbled across robot lawn mowers. They are essentially big rumbas for cutting the grass. Most websites I’ve come across are focused on selling me a robot mower. I don’t want to be sold. I am curious about people’s experiences. If anyone here has a robot lawn mower and am wondering has been a worthwhile purchase?

1 Like

This is a great question. If someone here does have I am curious about a few other things. How do they handle obstacles? What happens with trees (especially with roots) or flower beds? Do they do well on slopes?

Do you set boundaries? If not how do you prevent the mower from wandering into your neighbors yard?

I don’t really know anything about robot mowers, but I feel like the amount of yard that needs to be mowed here is going to be prohibitive.

The most powerful robot mower I found is only rated for 0.8 acres. Although, it looks like it returns home to recharge so maybe it can mow in sections.

As for boundaries, it looks like there is a boundary wire that you install around your property.