What's the Best RV GPS System?

Hello, I’m looking for a new GPS navigation system for my RV. My wife and I are frequent travelers and we try and take a few road trips each year. I have an old Rand McNally GPS, but the interface feels outdated and technology moves so fast, it seems there’s certainly something better out there.

I’ve been looking at the Garmin RV 770 and the Garmin RV 780. From what I can tell it seems like Garmin makes the best GPS systems for RV drivers these days.

What do you think?

This is an interesting request. I don’t know much about RV GPS systems, but perhaps you could tell us a bit more about what you’re looking for?

You said you had a Rand McNally GPS before. Is there anything other than the dated interface that isn’t working for you?

Those GPS systems seem pretty expensive to me. The Garmin 780 is almost $400. What are you getting that Google Maps and Waze don’t provide?

Maybe you’ve already considered this, but why not buy a Cellular enabled iPad? All you would need is a dash mount like this. That would give you a ton more flexibility and probably a much better screen for the same price.

RV GPS is a little bit different than Waze or other navigation apps. The primary difference is that a system like the Garmin allows me to enter height, weight and width to help determine the best routes.

My current GPS is 5 or 6 years old and has stopped receiving map updates. I could pay for updates, but I’d rather not. The interface can be a little frustrating to use. I’d rather spend a few hundred bucks for a better system. I’ll easily spend that on gas for our next trip.

I have looked at using an iPad for my GPS, but I don’t think it’s worth it.

I should have made it clear in my initial post. I don’t want to have to pay a subscription. There’s an app called CoPilot that offers RV Routing, offline navigation and other features I’d want. However, it costs about $30/year. Then on top of that I’d rather not pay for a cellular plan for my iPad.

If I were going to go with CoPilot, I would probably use it from my phone. I’m already paying verizon for that plan.

Ah, that makes sense. I understand not wanting to deal with subscription fees.

Both the navigation systems you proposed probably will work for you. I’m curious how many years Garmin provides map updates for? Certainly not forever?

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I decided to go with the Garmin RV 780. I think that’s the most practical system for me.

While I like the idea of using an iPad to navigate my RV, I don’t really want to pay for a carrier plan or an app subscription.

2 Likes

Thanks for following up with your decision here! If you ever want to write a Garmin RV 780 review, shoot me a message. We’d love to have it.