DJI Mavic Mini Drone

Have y’all seen DJI’s new drone, the Mavic Mini? I came across it today and thought it was worth posting about. It’s pretty impressive:

• Ultralight 249g
  • 30-min Flight Time
  • 4 km HD Video Transmission
  • Video Sensor + Precise Hover
  • 3 Axis Gimbal

Folded up it’s about the size of a smartphone, with a bit more depth. Starts at $399, but there’s a package with propeller guards, a charging case and a carrying back for $499.

DJI-Mavic-Mini

DJI Mavic Mini

A light, portable drone

The successor to the DJI Spark, The Mini provides excellent battery life for less than $500.
4 Likes

The 249g weight is significant because this is under the FAA’s 250g weight limit. If you buy the Mavic Mini, you won’t have to register it.

Looks cool, but I’ve bought the Spark when it came out. Probably don’t need another toy drone.

Curious. How does the Mavic Mini compare to the Spark?

The camera appears to be the same, but the Mini is lighter and has a longer flight time. Also, the Mini can fold to become pretty small, the Spark couldn’t do that.

Maybe @sschoe has a few other thoughts, but from a spec perspective the Mavic Mini looks like the successor to the Spark. Here’s a spec comparison taking a look at both drones.

General Specs Mavic Mini Spark
Folding Yes No
Weight 249g 300g
Flight Time 30 min 16 min
Max Flight Distance 4.3 miles 1.8 miles
Camera Specs
Sensor 1/2.3" CMOS 1/2.3" CMOS
Effective Pixels 12 MP 12 MP
Max Photo Size 4000x3000 3968x2976
Max Video Size 2.7k: 2720×1530 30fps FHD: 1920×1080 30fps
Max Bitrate 40 Mbs 24 Mbs
Gimbal
Stabilization 3-axis (Tilt, Roll, Yaw) 2-axis (Tilt, Roll)
Tilt -110° to 35° 85° to 0°
Roll -35° to 35° -30° to 30°
Pan -20° to 20° N/A
Sensing System
Operating Range 0.5-10 m 0.2-5 m
Remote Controller
Operating Range 0.5-10 m 0.2-5 m
Max Distance 2.5 miles 1.2 miles

This drone looks really cool. I had looked at the Mavic Air, but it was still more than I wanted to spend on a toy. Assuming the Mavic Mini gets good reviews, I might have to make a purchase.

1 Like

I think Sam is probably right. The Mini is lighter, longer-lasting battery, the gimbal is more flexible. I am interested in how the weight reduction effects flight.

The Spark is fine indoors and with no wind. I’d be afraid to fly it on a windy day. Anything more than a slight breeze effects the drone.

1 Like