Which Settlers of Catan expansions can be played with each other?

My girlfriend and I went over to a friends place this weekend for board games and a few drinks. We ended up playing Catan and now I am absolutely obsessed with it. It’s like a board game version of Civilization.

Anyways, I am a bit confused about the Expansions for Catan and was hoping someone here could provide some guidance (paging @IanReese). I found this chart on the Catan website, but am more confused than when I started looking at it. The chart makes it seem like they are all compatible, but there is a read more link with a bunch of exceptions to keep track of when combining the expansions.

From what I can tell the main expansions are:

There are also a ton of different scenarios, which I assume are only for serious Catan players.

I think there are actually a few questions in this post. Which Catan expansions be played with each other? Is the Catan base expansion required for Seafarers or the other expansions?

Also, would love opinions on the best expansion for new players.

I loved this game in college!

In college a friend had The Settlers of Catan and the 5-6-player expansion. It made the board a bit bigger, but didn’t add any are rules.

Unfortunately, I don’t have experience with any of the other expansions.

1 Like

Catan is a great game. As for combining expansions you could probably combine the first three. Explorers & Pirates ships concept is at odds with shipping lanes in Seafarers. I don’t think it would make for a fun game though.

Combining Seafarers and Cities & Knights is pretty common. However, as you mention, there are a good number of additional rules to follow.

The boxes you need are fairly straight forward if you only want to play the expansion with 3 or 4 people.

3-4 Player Game Required Boxes
Catan Catan Base Game
Seafarers Catan Base Game + Seafarers
Cities & Knights Catan Base Game + Cities & Knights
Traders & Barbarians Catan Base Game + Traders & Barbarians
Explorers & Pirates Catan Base Game + Explorers & Pirates

However, it becomes both expensive and a bit of a mess when trying to play with 5 or 6 people. In order to play the Catan expansions with 5-6 people you need both the Catan Base Extension, plus the Expansion, plus the Expansion Extension.

It becomes something like this:

Unless you have a large dedicated group of people, I’d say the 5-6 player expansions aren’t worth it. At least other than the base extension.

2 Likes

You’ve made it this long without ever playing Catan? What kind of nerd are you @Sam ?

I kid.

But Catan really is a great game for beginners. I think it is a bit of a gateway drug into more serious board games. The expansions add varying amounts of complexity to the base game.

I have tried combining some of the expansions and honestly don’t think it is worth it—especially for new players. On their own each expansion has enough replayability to keep them enjoyable.

I’d say @Aero_Engineer is accurate. Most people are going to want to stay away from the 5-6 player expansions. If you do want a 5-6 player version of Catan just grab the base game extension. There’s enough replayability there.

Oh wow, so you have to buy an extension for each expansion to get 5-6 people? That’s like $150 worth of board games. I think maybe I’ll just be on the lookout for the base game extension.

Appreciate your formatting btw! That’s much easier to understand than the flow chart on Catan’s website.

Also, if you’re looking for a guide, here are some notes on the different elements each expansion adds.

Catan Base Extension

Not really an expansion, but including it here anyways. This has the exact same rules as the base game, but expands the game to accommodate 5-6 players. You’ll need the original version of Catan to play.

What’s actually included? It adds another ring of tiles around the base game plus 2 port ocean tiles and 2 empty ocean tiles. Of course there are also two more sets of roads, houses and cities.

The additional tiles add a good amount of variability. I’ve had fun playing this version with 3-4 people, just because it provides a ton of room to expand.

Seafarers

If you’re thinking about getting a Catan expansion, Seafarers is probably the first one you’d want to purchase. It adds the fewest new rules and they mostly follow the same patterns as the original game.

• New land and water tiles
  • Shipping lanes, which work as roads do, but on water
  • A new tile type, gold, which grants a resource of your choosing
  • A pirate piece that can halt the building of shipping lanes

In Seafarers the victory point threshold is increased from 10 to 14 points. You can expect games to take a bit longer.

I’d say there’s also a bit more structure in setup. With the original game you can essentially shuffle all the hex tiles and place them down. With Seafarers it’s harder to do that and get an interesting game. There are a handful of setups that are recommended.

All-in all, this is probably the best Catan expansion for most people. It’s easy to learn and adds a good bit more replayability.

Cities & Knights

The Cities & Knights expansions is my favorite of all the expansions. It adds a significant amount of complexity to the base game. Armies, technologies, commodities—it is almost as if Civilization was a board game.

• Commodity cards (coins, paper and cloth) that can be used to improve your cities
  • Progress cards (trade, politics and science) that replace development cards
  • An event die that determines if barbarians move closer or a progress card is handed out
  • A barbarian ship that moves towards Catan
  • The introduction of knights pieces that that can be upgraded and used to defend against barbarian attacks
  • Cool-looking Metropolis pieces that are placed on cities that add victory points and have some other advantages

I’d say this is the best Catan expansion for the serious player. It adds a ton of depth and a new way to play. If you feel like the original doesn’t have enough variability, Cities & Knights may be for you.

However, there is a caveat. I’ve found that the extra rules make turns take much longer. It can get boring if you’re playing with friends and it takes 10 minutes to complete a turn.

Traders & Barbarians

This expansion along with Explorers & Pirates are a good bit different than the original two expansions. These offer a collection of scenarios that can be altered or combined to create a ton of different ways to play.

This box includes 5 scenarios:

• The Fishermen of Catan adds sea tiles that can be converted into fishing grounds. As a resource fish can be spent in some unique ways.
  • The Rivers of Catan adds a few river hex tiles. Building along the river grants additional victory points.
  • The Great Caravans adds wool and grain as commodities and camel routes that provide additional resource points.
  • Barbarian Invasion adds invading barbarians, which must be fended off with new knight pieces.
  • Traders and Barbarians is the flagship scenario in this expansion (hence the name). Players have a caravan and wagons to move commodities between hex tiles. Successful deliveries result in victory points. This scenario contains new tiles including: a castle, glass and marble.

There are some smaller variants such as Harbormaster, Catan Event Cards and 2-player Catan. These variants can be added to just about any Catan expansion.

Explorers & Pirates

Explorers & Pirates is the newest of the Catan expansions. Like Traders & Barbarians this expansion is a collection of smaller scenarios that can be mixed and matched. These focus on new game mechanics that are built around exploring.

Here are the scenarios included in Explorers and Pirates:

• In Land Ho! players must send expeditions to discover two new islands. Ships must ferry settlers to these new islands in order to colonize them.

• Pirate Lairs! adds pirates that interact with your trading ships. Discovering their pirate lairs to earn gold and victory points.

• In Fish for Catan! players are rewarded with victory points for returning fish to the main island and capturing pirate lairs.

• Spices for Catan! has players seek out fish and spices from foreign islands. When seeking these commodities players can uncover faster sailing or the ability to fend off pirates.

• Explorers & Pirates combines all the above scenarios into a single game. This creates the largest game board and pushes the threshold to 17 victory points.

What’s interesting about this expansion is that each scenario builds a bit on the next one. It gives you the opportunity to learn how to play the full expansion while playing the game. By the time you get to the Explorers & Pirates scenario, you have a good idea of what strategy to use.

Of all the expansions I’d say Explorers & Pirates offers the biggest change in gameplay from the original Catan.

Sources

I couldn’t remember all of these details on my own and haven’t spent much time with the newer expansions. So special thanks to these sources!

2 Likes

Wow, Ian this answer is amazing! I knew you’d come through on a question about board games.

I’d love to copy this over to a new topic and maybe add a few links?

Glad you liked it! And yeah, that’s absolutely fine.

Seriously awesome! I love coming here and seeing such detailed explanations.

Thinking about picking up Catan. Is there some sort of bundle that I can buy?
Catan is pretty expensive for a board game. Was thinking it might be cheaper if I bought all the expansions together.

Is that an option?

Hmmm, you’re looking to buy things in a bundle to get a deal? I’m not sure how much money you’ll save by purchasing Catan as a bundle. It does like Amazon does sell some of the games together.

Unless you’re trying to get something soon for an upcoming game night. I’d buy the base game and see if you like it. If so, you can buy an expansion—or better—way for them to go on sale.