Alternative to Photoshop CS6? Incompatible with macOS Catalina

For those of you quick to upgrade to the latest macOS—you may want to hold off if you’re using an older version of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign. There is a fairly detailed thread about it on Hacker News.

Heads up for developers like me building Mac apps, this release is going to take a little more adoption time than most due to the 64bit-only nature of this release.

For example, I know there is a contingent of people who are stuck at Adobe CS6, whose certain critical components are 32 bit. Since Adobe no longer sells permanent licenses, opting to only rent their software instead, it’s impossible to get these updated. And these expensive and still-in-use licenses are going to die the moment people update to Catalina.

For those of us that don’t want to pay for a subscription, what are the alternatives to Photoshop CS6? The ones I know of are:

1 Like

For what it’s worth I’m probably going to wait for the next Affinity sale. Maybe they’ll have something for Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

I don’t really use Photoshop anymore. Most of my photo editing is now done in Capture One. Illustrator used to be a requirement for vector work, but Sketch has gotten me pretty far. I imagine Affinity Designer could do what I need.

In short, I’m ready to get rid of Adobe. CS6 was great while it lasted.

Pixelmator pro

via reddit